Friday, July 28, 2006

About a blog

Why a blog?
Heck, why not? It's not as if many maths teachers can write, so I suppose every little helps - as they say. I doubt any publishers would be interested in a book on teaching maths in the Scottish system... But hey guys, if you're out there, bring it on! I'll have this blog snuffed out in seconds for the right price, and a shiny enough cover on the book.

But isn't a blog meant to be like a diary or something?
Indeed. And I plan to write stuff as it comes to me, which may or may not happen as a result of events of the day. It may at least follow the pattern of a school year, which can't be a bad thing, surely?

OK, so who the hell are you to comment on maths teaching?
Shh... No names, no places, no employers will be mentioned. Let's keep this on the right side of the law. If you want a blog where someone mouths off about their work, go look elsewhere. Which isn't to say that I won't be grumpy every once in a while. Or more often. But I'd rather not get Alan Sugared, thank you very much. Suffice it to say, I've been teaching Mathematics (ooh, capital M, he must be serious) for well over ten years now, in the Scottish system, and I've been around a few schools, so it might be that I know what I'm talking about. Besides, this is the internet, for goodness' sake! Who are you to question my right to prattle on about something I may know nothing at all about? Have you heard radio phone ins lately?

The big idea...
... is of course to get a bit of discussion going about maths teaching, so please do join in.

No comments: