Sunday, November 05, 2006

Red pen: newsflash

It's with great sadness that I have to announce the demise of my Faber Castell red pen (see blogs passim). For a while now I've been worried that it's been looking a bit sickly, and yesterday as I settled down to mark some Higher homeworks I heard the death-knell scrape as metal hit jotter; yes, the nib has finally worn down. Death is not far away.

Oh yes, I can still use the pen, more or less, so long as I keep the angle between pen and paper greater than 80 degrees... and I'm sure I will use it a few times more, just for old times' sake. But we both know it's over.

I'm not heartless, though. I'll keep the pen in my pencil case for a while yet, perhaps to be discovered later as I rummage through the case desperately looking for a pen of a certain hue. And when I do I'll think back to happier memories and smile.

But maybe the fairer thing to do is to just bin the pen right out; make a clean break; do the honest thing. Already I'm flirting with a red Staedtler 0.5mm pigment liner - she'll hate it when she sees us out marking together, I know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My condolences on the loss of your red pen.